Jul 1, 2016 8:57 PM
Wright: Reyes' actions 'horrible' but he deserves 2nd chance
The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) — David Wright says Jose Reyes' actions in a domestic-violence dispute were "horrible," but he is pleased his former teammate is being given a second chance by the New York Mets.
Wright and Reyes were teammates in New York from 2004-11, before Reyes left to sign a $106 million, six-year contract with Miami. Reyes was traded to Toronto and then Colorado, which released him last month after Reyes served a 59-day domestic violence suspension.
Major League Baseball imposed the penalty after Reyes got involved in an altercation with his wife last October that initially resulted in a criminal charge, later dropped. Reyes signed a minor league contract with the Mets last weekend and is expected to join the big league team soon.
"I feel like what he did was awful, terrible, there's just no other way around it." Wright said Friday. "He's done what he can do to earn a second chance. If he's going to be given a second chance, I think this is a good place for him. I think he's comfortable here. I think this is home for him. And again, I can't say it enough, what he did is something that is horrible and should never have done. So I hope that he's learned his lesson."
A four-time All-Star shortstop, Reyes has shifted to third base in the Mets minor league system and could take over the position while Wright recovers from surgery last month to repair a herniated disk in his neck. Wright said Friday that he may not return from the surgery until 2017 .
"I've talked to him a lot recently. He's asked some questions about third base," said Wright, the Mets captain. "I think he's going to bring up a ton of energy, and I think that's something that we could really use, his dynamic on field, his speed, his charisma. I think his ability, what he brings to the baseball field, is something that could really be a kind of pick me up for this team and the fans."