Jan 16, 2016 12:21 PM
Woman injured after fire starts in Laconia apartment building
LACONIA - Firefighters found an unconscious woman on the front steps of an apartment building after a fire was reported at the address Friday night.
Firefighters say they were called to a reported dryer fire at 103 Blueberry Lane, unit 7 around 9:30 p.m. Medical aid was given to the woman while other firefighters entered the apartment, which had spread into the ceiling. When the older woman came to, she told firefighters her 7-year-old granddaughter was in the apartment, triggering a frantic search.
The girl was found safe inside her grandmother's car. The woman was taken to to Lakes Region General Hospital accompanied by her husband and granddaughter.
The Red Cross is involved in helping the three find safe housing after the fire.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to any other apartments, but estimate property damage at $50,000.
Fire Chief Ken Erickson said he's concerned that the woman is the third to be injured in a fire in Laconia since the start of the year, reminding people that fires can spread quickly and release toxic fumes from synthetic materials in the home. Getting out of the building and calling 911 are imperative, he said.