Jun 23, 2016 9:33 PM
MERRIMACK- After a lot of questions about from the public, the Merrimack Town Council invited the Merrimack Village District to their meeting, to discuss their progress when it comes to the safety of the town’s drinking water.
“What is the status at this point, what’s their plans, what’s their thinking, that kind of thing,” said Town Council Chairwoman Nancy Harrington.
The wells that tested highest for PFOA’s are offline, and residents have been told the water coming out of their faucets is now safe.
“It’s not ok and I’m not going to drink the water; not going to drink the water, none of us are,” said resident Tia Chandler.
Many residents share Chandler’s concerns. Even though they’re told the water is safe, the information put out by the water district and the state hasn’t been updated in nearly a month despite weekly testing.
At Thursday’s meeting, representatives from the district explained their progress, including talks with Saint Gobain to request that they pay for a treatment plant for the wells that need it.
They explained the numbers can be difficult to understand since they only have a few months worth of data to compare it to. They assure the public the wells that are currently servicing customers all have levels of the chemical far below the FDA’s new standard of 70 parts per trillion.
Even though the council has no authority over the water district, they wanted the public to see that both parties are in constant contact when it comes to providing safe drinking water in town.
“Part of our role is public health so we do have an indirect kind of responsibility,” Harrington said.
The state Department of Environmental Services is holding a public meeting next Wednesday June 29 at 7 p.m. at the James Mastricola Upper Elementary School.
2 hours 24 minutes agoWith just 12 days to go until Election Day and the latest polls in New Hampshire’s blockbuster U.S. Senate race indicating a dead heat,...
6 hours 13 minutes agoPolice have captured a suspect in a possible abduction in Londonderry NH. They said the woman and a child were found safe. (More)
9 hours 15 minutes agoKelly Ayotte and Maggie Hassan talk 1-on-1 with NH1 News ahead of tonight's U.S. Senate debate (More)
10 hours 7 minutes agoMANCHESTER - A man accused of shooting and killing a Manchester man last month has been returned to New Hampshire to face charges. Billy Damuel Maldonado Cancel, 23, was captured in New Britain, Connecticut on October 14th. He was returned to N.H. last night. Maldonado Cancel was listed...