Nov 30, 2015 6:33 PM
TILTON - Cyber Monday became Manic Monday after a vague but very violent threat on a phone app targeted everyone at Winnisquam Regional High School.
"Obviously it disrupts the school system, it gets parents extremely worried about their kids and it’s very bad for the school," says Tilton Chief of Police Robert Cormier.
School officials said it was taken very seriously.
"We take all the threats very seriously so what we chose to do was go into a soft lockdown," says School Superintendent Tammy Davis.
Reactions varied among students here and at the middle school next door.
"I was actually pretty scared," recalls Zachri Keck. "I didn’t want someone to come in I was just you know really scared.”
But McKayla Tucker says fear never entered the picture for her.
"Honestly I’m just kind of slightly annoyed because it’s been kind of a chaotic day because of it and if you are going to make a threat about something, why would you do it on the Internet," Tucker declares.
For three hours all bags get checked, no new visitors admitted, students remain in their classrooms unless their parents came to pick them up.
The lack of specificity made the threat less likely to be credible.
"With this specific threat there was no time, there was no student or students," Cormier explained.
Tilton father Dave Treannie picked up his daughter and suspects either a current or former student was involved.
"I don’t know why kids think the way they do we never thought that way when we were kids I don’t know what they wrap their minds around, no need of it, you know what I mean," Treannie says.
"They are in school to learn, they are not there to be nutty in the head you know."
How to find the the offender used? Well ask a student of course. Nathan Kierstead brings us to the After School App and explains you can’t remain in total anonymity.
"It could be anybody because anybody can download the app and say anything and it’s anonymous but it’s not because when you download the app you have to log in on Facebook," Kierstead says.
"Usually these vague threats online leave a big digital footprint so they are optimistic about locating their target," says NH1 News’ Kevin Landrigan.
Sure enough by 2 p.m. with the FBI’s help, Cormier said they knew who posted the threat and were closing in.
Authorities have yet to identify the "responsible person" but Cormier vowed his department would prosecute the matter.
2 hours 20 minutes agoWith just 12 days to go until Election Day and the latest polls in New Hampshire’s blockbuster U.S. Senate race indicating a dead heat,...
6 hours 10 minutes agoPolice have captured a suspect in a possible abduction in Londonderry NH. They said the woman and a child were found safe. (More)
9 hours 11 minutes agoKelly Ayotte and Maggie Hassan talk 1-on-1 with NH1 News ahead of tonight's U.S. Senate debate (More)
10 hours 3 minutes agoMANCHESTER - A man accused of shooting and killing a Manchester man last month has been returned to New Hampshire to face charges. Billy Damuel Maldonado Cancel, 23, was captured in New Britain, Connecticut on October 14th. He was returned to N.H. last night. Maldonado Cancel was listed...