Feb 20, 2015 5:38 AM
UPDATE: Three-alarm fire kills one in Danbury
DANBURY - One person is dead after a house fire Thursday night in Danbury. New Hampshire State Fire Marshal William Degnan said the fatal fire investigation was happening at 24 Railroad Drive in the town of Danbury.
The Danbury fire department was dispatched at about 8 p.m. Thursday night for a structure fire with reports that one person had escaped the residence while another was trapped in the fire. The fire was reported by a neighbor. Responding Danbury fire crews arrived at the scene to heavy fire in the residence and a man being helped by neighbors. The man was transported to New London hospital for burn injuries.
Investigators from the NH State Fire Marshal's Office were called to the scene to conduct an investigation and along with Danbury Fire Department personnel the deceased victim was located and removed from the residence after the fire was extinguished.
An autopsy was scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday at Concord Hospital. The identification of the victim and cause of death will be released after confirmation by the Medical Examiner and notification of family.
The investigation is ongoing at this time, but initial information and evidence indicate a wood stove and chimney may be involved in the cause of the fire. No working smoke alarms were found in the home. Marshal Degnan, Fire Chief Austin, and Police Chief Suckling want to remind everyone that working smoke alarms save lives and in the event of a fire you need to exit your home immediately and call 911. Also, Fire Chief Austin and Police Chief Suckling would like to thank the mutual aid companies that respond to the fire and assisted the Danbury Fire Department.
Anyone with information or questions can contact with Investigator Thomas Schutzius or District Chief Thomas Riley at (603) 223-4289.