NH1 News Debates


Jan 9, 2016 11:58 AM

UPDATE: Smoke inhalation killed former Nashua police chief living in Andover

The Associated Press

ANDOVER — The New Hampshire fire marshal's office says an Andover man died of accidental smoke inhalation after starting a brush fire at his home.

Fire Marshal William Degnan says 65-year-old Donald Gross — a former Andover selectman and Nashua police chief — was working on his Kearsarge Mountain Road property when he died Thursday.

Degnan said the cause of the fire was accidental, due to the use of ignitable liquids near an open flame. Degnan cautions that gasoline, kerosene and other flammable liquids should not be used to start a brush fire.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen said she was saddened by Gross's death, calling him an outstanding public servant who was taken from his family and friends "far too soon."

Gross served as Nashua's police chief during Shaheen's last term as governor.

Related Stories


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome