NH1 News Debates


Jul 31, 2015 12:03 PM

UPDATE: Officials say 3-alarm Laconia fire caused by cigarette, plastic bucket


LACONIA - The 3-alarm fire that burned down three town houses on Wednesday was started by a cigarette that was not fully extinguished.

A cigarette had been left outside in a plastic bucket, when the 90 degree heat that day caused it to catch on fire.

Other cigarette butts in the bucket fueled the fire.

"It didn't take long to get the fire going," said Fire Chief Kenneth Erickson.

This is the third fire this summer in Laconia to start in a bucket of cigarette butts, the chief says.

He is asking smokers to please add water or sand, and to-consider using metal buckets that won't catch on fire.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome