Nov 28, 2014 7:45 AM
LONDONDERRY - With thousands across the state still without power, emergency shelters have been opened for those who need them.
At Londonderry High School tonight, the town's ALERT volunteer emergency response team was ready for anyone who needed food, a place to sleep and a hot shower.
"We're ready for the onslaught," said Rick Semaski of ALERT. "Planning for the worst, but hoping for the best," he said.
Only one person had checked into the Londonderry shelter as of late Friday.
Joan Freeman, an elderly resident who lives on her own in Derry, told NH1 News she decided to come to the shelter because it was 46 degrees in her home.
"My furnace is not running and it's clanging when I start it and there's water leaking out of it," Freeman said. "So I decided I needed a good night's sleep before I deal with all of that."
The following shelters are open:
• Allenstown Elementary School, 30 Main St., Allenstown.
• Campton Elementary School, 1110 NH Route 175, Campton.
• Laconia Middle School, 150 Mcgrah St., Laconia.
• Londonderry High School, 295 Mammoth Road, Londonderry.
• Nashua High School North, 10 Chuck Druding Drive, Nashua.
• Rochester Middle School, 47 Brock St., Rochester.
• Rowell Community Center, 12 Rowell Drive, Franklin.
The following warming centers are open:
• Auburn Fire Department, 6 Pingree Hill Road, Auburn.
• Grace's Place, 9 Mechanic St., Farmington.
• Manchester Health Department, 1528 Elm St.
• Winchester Fire Department, 6 Parker St., Winchester.
For more information about shelters, including the closest pet-friendly shelter, residents can call 2-1-1 in state or 1-866-444-4211 from out of state.
3 hours 44 minutes agoBoston officials say a water main gave way in the city's South End neighborhood, flooding a trench and killing two workers. (More)
5 hours 25 minutes agoWith 18 days to go until Election Day, an average of the latest public opinion surveys in New Hampshire indicates Hillary Clinton with an...
5 hours 56 minutes agoCyberattacks on a key internet firm repeatedly disrupted the availability of popular websites across the East Coast of the United States Friday, according to...
6 hours 30 minutes agoState police are searching for a 15-year-old who has been missing for six days. (More)
10 hours 26 minutes agoA distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against DynDNS was causing serious issues online for the East Coast. (More)
13 hours 49 minutes agoMaggie Hassan’s U.S. Senate campaign is launching a new television commercial on Friday that highlights the accomplishments the governor’s achieved the past four years...