Jul 11, 2016 3:49 PM
MANCHESTER - A man convicted on 12 charges related to a violent Bedford home break-in in 2012 will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
Charles Normil, 35, faced 14 charges including felonious sexual assault, burglary and attempted murder. He was convicted on 12 of those charges.
The only sign of emotion shown by Normil was when verdicts of ‘not guilty’ was read aloud on the attempted murder charge and one count of falsify evidence.
Normil’s DNA could not be found on any of the house hold items he used to beat and rape the Quesada’s - as testified by several DNA experts - but the jury had unanimous findings on several counts of first- and second-degree assault, as well as 5 charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault.
The state requested the max sentence for Normil on all charges, but Normil attempted to defend his character.
“I stand before you today an innocent man, still an innocent man,” said Normil addressing the court during sentencing.
But the state, judge and victim Dr. Eduardo Quesada, all thought differently.
“We leave here today knowing that this will never ever happen again to anyone," an emotional Quesada said. "This evil animal will go behind bars for rest of existence on this planet."
“After 22 years on this bench I thought that I saw all the way to the bottom to the well of human depravity and after this case, I know that well has no bottom,” said Judge Gillian Abramson.
Normil was sentenced to serve a minimum of 67 years and a max of 134 years behind bars after he serves his 25-year sentence in Massachusetts for a different violent home invasion.
27 minutes 15 seconds agoWith just 12 days to go until Election Day and the latest polls in New Hampshire’s blockbuster U.S. Senate race indicating a dead heat,...
4 hours 16 minutes agoPolice have captured a suspect in a possible abduction in Londonderry NH. They said the woman and a child were found safe. (More)
7 hours 18 minutes agoKelly Ayotte and Maggie Hassan talk 1-on-1 with NH1 News ahead of tonight's U.S. Senate debate (More)
8 hours 10 minutes agoMANCHESTER - A man accused of shooting and killing a Manchester man last month has been returned to New Hampshire to face charges. Billy Damuel Maldonado Cancel, 23, was captured in New Britain, Connecticut on October 14th. He was returned to N.H. last night. Maldonado Cancel was listed...