Dec 19, 2015 12:27 PM

UPDATE: Liberty Utilities: no gas leak in Keene, but elevated risk of carbon monoxide symptoms

NH1.com

KEENE - A spokesman for Liberty Utilities says the citywide gas emergency on Saturday is not due to a leak, but to a problem with the mixture of gas created at the Keene production facility.

"The mixture created gas that has elevated levels of carbon monoxide," said John Shore, a spokesman for Liberty Utilities.

The mixture also has a stronger odor than the gas that's normally produced, leading to multiple calls from residents who smelled gas, he said. The problem is restricted to Keene customers.

"If you do smell gas, or if you experience symptoms of high levels of carbon monoxide, open your windows and move to fresh air," Shore said.

Symptoms include headaches, dizzyness, weakness, nausea and visual problems like seeing spots.

Shore said the problem is being addressed, and crews continued to work in Keene late morning and early afternoon. Anyone Keene customers experiencing problems with their natural gas can call 603-352-1230.

"The Keene Fire Department urges anyone that smells natural gas to call the Fire Department. If you have a problem with a natural gas appliance, shut off the gas, evacuate the building and call the Fire Department. We are currently working with several agencies and are identifying and correcting the problem," the fire department said in a statement.

Related Stories

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 36°
1pm 36°
2pm 36°
3pm 37°
4pm 38°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 Monday, 1:30 p.m. - White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome