NH1 News Debates


Dec 20, 2015 11:01 PM

UPDATE: Governor Maggie Hassan issues investigation for Keene gas-incident


KEENE - Governor Maggie Hassan released a statement saying problems like the one in Keene are potentially a huge threat to the public's safety, and she isn't taking any chances.

Downtown was back to normal, with cars buzzing about and people out shopping. On Saturday, fire crews from Keene and the surrounding towns responded to a wide spread carbon monoxide scare but some people, didn't know what happened.

"I saw a lot of fire trucks and sirens throughout the day" says Brigit Noone of Surry.

So what did happen?

Liberty Utilities released a statement saying their plant mistakenly created a gas mixture known as high btu gas and this mixture does not burn efficiently and it gives off more carbon monoxide. The gas mixture was sent through the pipeline into customer's homes and businesses.

"We had smelt the gas in the store and we were being evacuated" says Emily McLaughlin, a Hallmark employee, "I went out back to grab my jacket when I opened the back door and the smell hit me like a brick".

Mclaughlin is currently a freshman at Keene State, she said firefighters had to drag her out of the back room because she was knocked unconscious. She was sent to the hospital for a few hours and luckily did not have carbon monoxide poisoning but at least five other people were treated for carbon monoxide symptoms.

Most businesses in downtown were not affected by this because they used oil instead of natural gas. Firefighters went door-to-door Saturday to the 1,250 customers making sure they were okay.

As of Sunday morning, the situation is under control, but Hassan is calling for a full investigation.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome