Jul 1, 2016 11:53 AM

UPDATE: Fire officials say bagel shop fire likely accidental in Newburyport

Associated Press

NEWBURYPORT, Mass. — Fire officials say a blaze that consumed a bagel shop in Newburyport, prompting firefighters from Massachusetts and New Hampshire to respond, was caused by mulch ignited by a cigarette.

UPDATE: Popular bagel shop burns in four-alarm in downtown Newburyport, Mass.

State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said Friday that investigators found no signs the June 28 fire was intentionally set. They concluded "improperly discarded smoking materials" likely landed in a mulch bed located against the deck of the bagel shop, starting the blaze.

Officials say the nearby parking lot had evidence of other improperly discarded cigarettes and neighbors told investigators there had been previous fires in the same mulch bed in recent days.

Firefighters from about a dozen communities in Massachusetts and New Hampshire had responded to the fire, which damaged Abraham's Bagels and Pizza and a neighboring law office.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 38°
9pm 36°
10pm 34°
11pm 33°
12am 31°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome