NH1 News Debates

Sep 25, 2014 11:54 AM

Suspect captured, but UVa student still missing

The Associated Press

GALVESTON, Texas (AP) A man charged with abducting a missing University of Virginia sophomore has been captured in Texas and is awaiting extradition but there is still no sign of the student, authorities said.

On Thursday morning, Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, appeared briefly before a Galveston County judge via a video link from jail to hear the charges against him. In Texas, he's charged with being a fugitive from justice and with giving false information to an officer, in addition to a count of abduction with intent to defile in Virginia. Judge Mark Henry held Matthew without bond on the fugitive count.

Matthew in a dark green jumpsuit, with his hands cuffed signed papers and refused a court-appointed attorney. He told Henry he wasn't out on bond on any other charges before his arrest.

Matthew appeared confused and asked the judge a few short questions. He expressed concern that his clothes were taken when he was booked into Galveston County jail. "I should be able to have some kind of clothing," he said.

Henry told him that his jumpsuit was sufficient and that his personal items would be returned later.

After the appearance, Henry told KPRC-TV that he expected Matthew would be extradited to Virginia within a day or two. But details on how or when he would be moved remained unclear. Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset told The Associated Press that authorities from Virginia were expected to arrive after noon Thursday.

Matthew was arrested Wednesday afternoon on a beach in the sparsely populated community of Gilchrist, police said. The capture came less than a full day after police announced they had probable cause to arrest Matthew in the case of Hannah Graham, the 18-year-old sophomore who went missing on Sept. 13 in Charlottesville.

Police received a call reporting a suspicious person and a responding deputy found a man who had pitched a tent on the beach with his car parked nearby, Trochesset said. Matthew refused to give the officer identification, Trochesset said, but the car's plates revealed it was the vehicle sought in the case.

Police think the tent had been in the area a day or two, Trochesset said. But he said they don't know whether Matthew has relatives in the area of why he came there.

"We seem to be the end of the road," Trochesset said. "For us, it's not strange that someone like that would be arrested here."

With Graham still missing, Trochesset said Texas authorities would conduct searches. In Charlottesville, police say an intense search continues.

"This case is nowhere near over," Longo told a news conference late Wednesday. "We have a person in custody, but there's a long road ahead of us and that long road includes finding Hannah Graham."

The search is focusing on rural and wooded areas around Charlottesville, Longo said Thursday on NBC's "Today" show.

According to authorities, Graham met friends at a restaurant for dinner Sept. 12 before stopping by two parties at off-campus housing units. Officials said she left the second party alone and sent a text message to a friend saying she was lost.

Surveillance videos showed her walking, and at some points running, past a pub and a service station and then onto the Downtown Mall, a seven-block pedestrian strip where police believe she entered a bar with Matthew. The video that has been publicly released does not show the two entering the bar together; instead, "witnesses place them in the bar together," Charlottesville Police spokeswoman Miriam I. Dickler said in an email.

Matthew had been employed at the University of Virginia Medical Center since Aug. 12, 2012, as a patient technician in the operating room, according to the university.

The charges against the 6-foot-2, 270-pound Matthew surprised Dave Hansen, who first met him about 11 years ago when Hansen served as an assistant pastor at an area church.

"I always thought he was a gentle giant, just a nice guy," Hansen said. "He seemed genuine with his faith and spirituality. ... I don't see him doing this at all, but that's usually the case, I guess."

Matthew attended Liberty University from 2000 to 2002, said officials with the Lynchburg school founded by the late Rev. Jerry Falwell. The school's athletics website listed him as a defensive lineman on the football team.

More recently, he served as a volunteer for the football team at The Covenant School, a private Christian pre-kindergarten through 12th-grade school in Charlottesville. Officials said his involvement began last month after interviews with the athletic director and football coach, as well as normal background and reference checks.

After Matthew was named a person of interest in Graham's disappearance, school officials said in a letter that he will "no longer be working with our football program while this matter is being clarified and resolved."

While Matthew has had past brushes with the law, the details of those cases are not clear.

Online court records show Matthew was convicted of trespassing in 2010 but provide no details about the incident. Details also were unavailable for two other charges of assault and attempted grand larceny relating to a 2009 incident that were not prosecuted. Matthew, who had a taxi permit from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles from 2007 to 2010, also has several traffic infractions, records show.


Graczyk reported from League City, Texas. Associated Press reporters Michael Felberbaum and Steve Szkotak in Richmond, Virginia, and David Warren in Dallas contributed to this report.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome