Feb 18, 2015 7:14 PM
Snow blamed for multiple Manchester gas leaks
MANCHESTER- The intersection of Hanover and Beech Street in Manchester was closed for hours as firefighters and utility crews investigated a gas leak in the sewer.
Firefighters say they have responded to many gas leaks in the last few weeks, and in many cases the snow is to blame.
The Hanover street leak happened around 5pm Wednesday evening. There were no injuries and no homes had to be evacuated.
District Chief Mark Pelletier says they've responded to many leaks in the sewers like this one, but the cold weather and snow has had them investigating gas leak calls of all kinds.
"The snow is the main factor, people are shoveling off their roofs and blocking vents of heating appliances and so forth. In the case of last week, snow actually came off a roof and broke a one and a half inch gas pipe in a building," Pelletier said.
The utility company expects the intersection to be closed for hours Wednesday night for repairs.