Smoking while on medical oxygen takes the life of a Derry resident
DERRY - A 79-year-old man died after being being severely burned from smoking while on medical oxygen.
John Foley, 79, was taken from his home on Island Pond Road May 20 to Brigham and Women's Hospital where he passed away May 22, officials said.
As a result of a joint investigation between the state Fire Marshal's office and the Derry Fire Department, it was determined that smoking materials caused the ignition of clothing and other combustible materials in the immediate area of the victim. These materials were enriched by the use of the medical oxygen, which supported the rapid development of the fire.
“There is no safe way to smoke when using home oxygen,” said state Fire Marshal J. William Degnan.