Mar 8, 2016 8:34 PM

Simple resources to help keep family and children safe from sex offenders

There are resources out there to help protect your children by keeping track of registered sex offenders in your area.

New Hampshire State Police has a website where you put in a person's name and it will tell you there are any offenses against them. So coaches, teachers, babysitters, workers coming into your home, you can check them out.

The U.S. Department of Justice has a National database that works the same way, bit on a national level.

The Family Watchdog website searches an entire neighborhood and shows where offenders live near you.

One Alabama State Representative has a different take on protecting families against sex offenders. Rep. Steve Hurst introduced a bill that would require sex offenders over 21 to pay for their own surgical castration before being released from Alabama state custody. It would be for people convicted of "certain sex offenses" against victims 12 years old or younger. Nearly identical bills failed seven times there since 2006.

Several states already have laws mandating chemical castration, with a drug that lowers testosterone levels. No states have mandatory surgical castration laws.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome