Oct 1, 2016 5:37 PM
Seafood company fined $173,168 after deadly ammonia leak
The Associated Press
BOSTON (AP) — A Boston seafood wholesaler has been fined $173,168 for safety violations found after a deadly March ammonia leak.
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration announced the fines Friday saying investigators found 20 different infractions at Stavis Seafoods' cold storage facility in South Boston.
OSHA inspectors say the warehouse cooling system was not properly inspected and an alarm system in the machine room where ammonia was used as a refrigerant wasn't working, among other deficiencies.
Worker Brian Caron died March 23 while trying to escape ammonia fumes from a burst pipe.
Stavis Seafoods officials declined to say whether the company would contest the findings.
But CEO Richard Stavis said the company has since taken protective measures, including permanently closing the impacted facility and retaining an independent safety and compliance consultant.