Apr 13, 2016 9:19 PM
Schubart scandal at Phillips Exeter leads to latest confession by another staff member
EXETER — A letter was sent out to the Phillips Exeter community Wednesday alerting them that Steve Lewis, a longtime photography instructor at the school, admitted to sexual encounters with a student more than 20 years ago.
This comes two weeks to the day when a first letter went out about former teacher Rich Schubart’s sexual misconduct involving two students in the 1970’s and ’80s.
Lewis is off the job and barred from all campus events. According to the principal's letter, since March 30 when they released information about Schubart's sexual misconduct, many other victims have come forward.
The school reported them to Exeter Police who say after an investigation, Lewis confessed to the incidents.
“We need to make sure that we treat sexual misconduct seriously, that offenders are prosecutors to the full extent of the law,” Governor Maggie Hassan said.
Governor Hassan fielded questions from reporters about the Schubart scandal just hours before this latest letter was released.
Her husband Tom Hassan was principal back in 2011 when Schubart was forced to retire and removed from campus. That was kept quiet until last month after one of his victims spoke to local media. The Democratic Governor has come under fire from Republicans, as Schubart donated to her 2012 campaign for Governor.
“We also know that we have to have policies and procedures for how to notify the public and that’s one of the things that a review of this case should really focus on," Gov. Hassan said. "That’s the type of focus we should have right now, the serious issues that this raises. It is disappointing that people seem to be trying to politicize it."
The school said they're not aware of any additional allegations involving Lewis or any current faculty members. They urge anyone with information about inappropriate sexual conduct connected to Phillips Exeter to contact the school or Exeter Police.