Sep 23, 2016 6:41 PM
Salem mom seen overdosing in Family Dollar turned away from rehab center
SALEM — The mother who was found overdosing on fentanyl while her daughter tried to wake her was rejected from a rehabilitation center.
Mandy McGowen, 36 of Salem, was found on the floor of a Family Dollar after overdosing on fentanyl. A bystander videotaped McGowen's daughter as she cried for her mother to wake up while tugging at her arm and head.
Sources told NH1 News today that McGowen had checked into rehab. However, WBZ reported that when McGowen attempted to enter a Massachusetts treatment program, they wouldn't accept her New Hampshire Medicaid insurance and she was turned away.
McGowen also told WBZ that she has been spiraling out of control for a year now.
The toddler has since been taken into state custody.