Nov 20, 2015 3:47 PM
Rochester police: Tips to protect packages scheduled for delivery
ROCHESTER - 'Tis the season for package delivery and Rochester police have some suggestions for protecting gifts that are delivered to your doorstep.
Police say they get reports of theft throughout the year from people who arrive home to discover packages have been stolen from outside their homes.
To protect packages
• Request a signature on your deliveries, especially those of high value, so they are not left unattended. You can also give specific instructions on where to leave a package so it is not left in a visible spot.
• Sign up for an email alert that will notify you when your delivery is set to arrive.
• Choose an alternative destination - either at work or at a family member's, friend's or neighbor's house where someone will be home to receive the delivery.
• Re-direct packages, even if they're already on their way. Send them to your closest FedEx or UPS office, or another secure location.
• Set up a vacation hold if you'll be away during the holidays so gifts will not be delivered to an empty house.