Apr 5, 2016 7:48 AM
The Associated Press
HAMPTON (AP) — Officials in Hampton say replacing a sewer main that broke over the winter could cost taxpayers nearly $2 million more than the estimate Public Works gave selectmen last month.
The Portsmouth Herald reports Town Manager Fred Welch told the selectboard Monday that replacing the 4,000-foot force main that runs under the Hampton marsh could cost at least $5 million.
Welch says town officials are working on in-house estimates of costs and designs to replace the main, with firm estimates from outside consultation not available until September.
Public Works Director Chris Jacobs says the pipe is critical to the beach's sewage system.
A leak was discovered in the pipe in February and was patched last month. Jacobs says the fix should be viewed as only a temporary solution.
7 hours 47 minutes agoRepublican nominee Chris Sununu and his fellow executive councilor and Democratic nominee Colin Van Ostern questioned each other’s ethics as they traded fire in...
13 hours 1 minute agoU.S. Attorney for New Hampshire Emily Rice announced that 25 people have been indicted on heroin trafficking charges, all apart of a drug dealing...
13 hours 16 minutes agoHours ahead of an NH1 News prime time gubernatorial debate, Republican nominee Chris Sununu and fellow executive councilor and Democratic nominee Colin Van Ostern...
15 hours 26 minutes agoPolice have recovered marijuana plants from the home involved in an attempted burglary after obtaining a search warrant. (More)
18 hours 16 minutes agoA resident shot a gun at an unarmed intruder that attempted to burglarize their home, police said. (More)