Dec 31, 2014 9:17 AM
Rebels say twin bombings in Yemen kill at least 24
The Associated Press
SANAA, Yemen (AP) A rebel spokesman says the death toll in a suicide bombing targeting Shiites in Yemen has risen to at least 24 people killed.
Mohammed Abdel-Baki, the local spokesman for the Houthi rebels, said a suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday among hundreds of people gathered to prepare celebrations for the Prophet Muhammad's birthday this weekend.
Abdel-Baki described the attack in the central Yemeni city of Ibb as a "massacre." He said a previous report about a second bombing at the site turned out to be incorrect.
Yemen's Interior Ministry said at least 23 people had been killed.