Nov 22, 2014 3:02 AM
Rating the Nation: Best Traveling Rivalry Trophies
The Associated Press
Sometimes in college football it seems as if everybody gets a trophy. Traveling rivalry trophies are one of the great traditions in college football. From bells to buckets, axes to Apple Cups, the amount of hardware handed out tends to go up at this time of year.
And when it comes to trophy games, Minnesota has the best.
Ahead of the college football season, The Associated Press asked its panel of voters in the Top 25 poll to weigh in on the best traveling trophies in college football.
Three that the Gophers play for grabbed the tops spots, starting with Paul Bunyan's Axe, which Wisconsin and Minnesota will play for on Thanksgiving weekend. After that came college football's most famous pig, the statute named Floyd of Rosedale that goes to the winner of the Iowa-Minnesota game. The Little Brown Jug, which Minnesota took from Michigan earlier this season, was No. 3 on the list.
The full trophy rankings:
1. Paul Bunyan's Axe (Minnesota-Wisconsin game)
2. Floyd of Rosedale (Iowa-Minnesota)
3. Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan)
4. Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana)
5. Platypus Trophy (Oregon-Oregon State)
6. Golden Hat (Oklahoma-Texas)
7. Jeweled Shillelagh (USC-Notre Dame)
8. Commander-in-Chief's (Army-Navy)
9. Stanford Axe (Stanford-Cal)
10) Keg of Nails (Cincinnati-Louisville)