Rain helps firefighters extinguish blaze in Northfield
NORTHFIELD - An afternoon rainstorm helped firefighters put out a fire that apparently started on a porch and threatened a home at 42 Bay Hill Road on Thursday.
Firefighters say they arrived to find the fire coming from the eaves of an enclosed porch but quickly extinguished the blaze, then checked to make sure it had not spread into the home.
“The rain definitely helped keep the fire from spreading more rapidly” said Lt. Matt Gilman. “When we arrived on scene it began to down pour helping minimize the spread of the fire from the porch roof.”
The cause of the fire was identified as a portable generator that had been placed too close to the outside of the building. Firefighters said generators should be kept at least 10 feet away from any structure with the exhaust facing away from the building.