Nov 10, 2014 12:13 PM

Prosecutor wants cross-country rape suspect jailed

The Associated Press

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) Massachusetts prosecutors are urging a judge to keep a man suspected of raping women in several states locked up while he awaits trial.

Authorities say Gregory Lewis cut off his court-ordered electronic monitoring device and fled Massachusetts after being charged in the rape of a 13-year-old girl. He was captured in New York last month after what police called a cross-country crime spree.

During a court hearing Monday, prosecutors asked a judge to find that Lewis is a danger to the community and to continue to hold him without bail.

Lewis' attorney urged the judge not to label Lewis as dangerous. He says it would deprive Lewis of his right to be presumed innocent.

Judge Janet Kenton-Walker says she will issue her ruling within the next day or so.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome