NH1 News Debates


Nov 18, 2014 7:54 AM

Producer moves to dismiss part of Kesha lawsuit

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) A hit-making music producer has asked a judge to dismiss allegations that he sexually abused pop singer Kesha from a civil lawsuit, court filings show.

Attorneys for Lukasz Gottwald, known professionally as Dr. Luke, argue in a Monday court filing that Kesha's claim that she was raped by her mentor is barred by the statute of limitations.

Kesha sued Gottwald last month claiming the producer subjected her to nearly a decade of emotional and sexual abuse. She did not state when the alleged rape occurred, and Gottwald's attorneys contend the allegation should be thrown out from the case because it could not have occurred within the past two years.

The producer's filings note that in a 2011 deposition, Kesha denied that Gottwald made any sexual advances toward her. Portions of the deposition were unsealed by a New York judge last month.

Kesha's attorney Mark Geragos has said that Gottwald threatened his client that he would harm her if she ever discussed the alleged rape.

Gottwald's lawyers are also seeking the dismissal of a claim of gender violence, which they state has a three year statute of limitations. If dismissed, six other allegations including sexual harassment, civil harassment and intentional infliction of emotional distress would remain in the case, although those might be the subject of later motions.

"Dr. Luke is hiding behind a legally flawed motion which we expect won't work," Geragos wrote in an email.

Kesha and Gottwald have competing lawsuits filed in Los Angeles and New York, respectively. The producer, who has produced hits for artists such as Katy Perry, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Pitbull, Flo Rida and Miley Cyrus, has denied he raped Kesha and his attorneys have said her case is an attempt by the singer to gain a more favorable contract.

The "Tik Tok" singer's suit accuses Gottwald of subjecting her to other sexual and emotional abuse for nearly a decade. The abuse led Kesha to develop a severe eating disorder that required her to enter rehab earlier this year, according to the lawsuit.

She is asking a judge to release her from contracts she signed with Gottwald.


Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome