Potentially toxic bacteria found on NH pond beaches
SALEM — Health officials have found potentially harmful bacteria on Arlington Pond beaches.
Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae due to its bluish-green color, was found on beaches along Arlington Pond.
During blooms, the algae can be seen as blue or green like blobs floating on the surface of the water and along the shoreline.
The bacteria can, but not always, produce toxins that can be harmful to livestock, pets and even people. The symptoms associated with blue-green algae toxins are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, irritation of the eyes, nose and skin and a mild fever.
Sickness from the algae comes most commonly from drinking contaminated water.
If there is blue-green algae in the water, it is advised to not swim or drink the water and to keep all pets and animals from drinking the water. If you do come in contact with the algae rinse it off with fresh water as soon as possible.