Dec 24, 2015 4:47 PM
Portsmouth Gas Light Co. owner cited for letting homeless man stay in basement of other building
PORTSMOUTH - The owner of the Gas Light Co. restaurant that's closed for repairs following a 4-alarm fire, has been cited by city inspectors involving a different building.
According to The Portsmouth Herald, inspectors looking into surrounding buildings following the December 4 fire, found an unregulated area had been 'converted to residential uses.'
The owner of the Gas Light Co. tells NH1 News he had been allowing a homeless man to stay in the basement level of 60 Market St.
Paul Sorli, who is on the board of directors for the Seacoast Mental Health Center, said he was concerned for the man's health as the colder months were approaching.
Sorli covered former hot tubs with plywood and a mattress, and the area was found to be unsanitary, according to paperwork obtained by The Portsmouth Herald.
In a statement to NH1 News, Sorli wanted to make it clear that there were no violations at The Gas Light Co.
“In the adjoining building I was housing a homeless person in space that was commercially zoned rather than residentially zoned," Sorli wrote, "So that would be the zoning violation.”
The city said no one is allowed to occupy the space and future inspections are expected.
Sorli expects The Gas Light Co. to reopen in March.