Dec 10, 2015 11:12 AM
The Associated Press
PORTSMOUTH — Firefighters have identified the cause of a fire at a historic Portsmouth building built in 1880, tracing the problem to a duct for the restaurant's wood-fired oven.
The Portsmouth Herald reports the initial damage assessment for the Portsmouth Gas Light Co. building is $2.1 million.
The fire required upward of 75 firefighters to battle the flames that began in a first-floor restaurant and burned its way through the roof.
Fire Chief Steven Achilles says no one was injured in the blaze. It was first reported just after 10 a.m. Wednesday by firefighters training on the city's fire boat in the Piscataqua River. Achilles said an investigation revealed it started in a duct for the restaurant's wood-fired oven.
A fire wall between the structure and adjacent buildings prevented the flames from spreading. Firefighters from at least 16 departments responded and the blaze was put under control by noon.
8 hours 10 minutes agoThe community of Nashua is mourning as they learn the body pulled from the Merrimack River in Tyngsborough is believed to be 16-year-old Jacob...
15 hours 27 minutes agoPolice and fire departments recovered the body of a young man from the Merrimack River this afternoon. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 9:05 PMPolice are investigating the possibility that a missing teen was swept into a storm drain in the night during heavy rain. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 7:42 PMPolice deployed a bomb squad and robot to investigate a suspicious package that appeared outside a Walmart on Lowell Road on Saturday. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 3:29 PMBelle Bowers, the mother of Democratic New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, has died. She was 94. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 11:31 AMNashua fire responded to over 50 calls in just a three hour period due to the heavy rainfall on Friday. (More)