Porch fire in Tilton reportedly caused by improper disposal of cigarettes
TILTON — A porch fire in Tilton was considered to be an accidental incident caused by the improper disposal of cigarette butts.
According to Tilton-Northfield Fire and EMS, the porch fire started around 1:45 p.m. on Saturday at 27 Grant St.
Responders were on scene within minutes to attack the visible fire before entering the home, Tilton Fire Dept. reports.
Capitan Sean Valovanie stated, "that he found a man with no shoes standing in the smoke-filled living room with no idea what was happening."
Valovanie later said that the man lived in the apartment above the garage and was wearing headphones while home detectors were going off.
A total of six residents and a dog were displaced by the fire and are currently being assisted by Red Cross.
Derik Ogg, a Tilton-Northfield firefighter, spoke about the incident stating, "You can’t put cigarette butts in just any container. They need to be fully extinguished by dousing them in water or sand before disposing of them in a properly rated container."