Anthony Barnaby, left, and David Caplin

Mar 19, 2016 10:01 AM

Police techniques scrutinized in 1988 Nashua murder

NASHUA - New evidence has emerged in the 1988 murder of two Nashua women, leading to questions about the interrogation methods used on a suspect at the time.

According to The New Hampshire Union Leader, newly filed court documents allege that former police Capt. Paul Goupil threatened murder suspect Anthony Barnaby with the death penalty and daily rapes in prison during his interrogation.

Goupil denies the claims.

Barnaby is facing his fourth trial for the murder of Brenda Warner and Charlene Ranstrom.

Police say Barnaby, 48, and 54-year-old David Caplin stabbed Warner and Ranstrom to death in October 1988 in the women's Nashua apartment.

Three juries failed to convict or acquit Barnaby, the last time in 1990. First-degree murder charges against Caplin were dropped after courts tossed much of the evidence. Both men returned to Canada. The case was reopened a few years ago when modern DNA testing found Caplin's DNA in samples from the rape kit performed on both victims in 1988

In preparation for the trial, the New Hampshire Attorney General's office has questioned police involved in the case at the time.

“Capt. Stuart recalled that Capt. Goupil told Barnaby he would be facing the death penalty, hanging, and that Barnaby would be raped every day in prison,” Susan Morrell, senior assistant attorney general, wrote in court documents. “Capt. Stuart told us that he personally heard Capt. Goupil make these threats to Barnaby.”

Stuart has recanted his statement.

Defense attorney Mark Sisti said he is considering a motion to dismiss the case and a motion to suppress Barnaby's statements during the interrogation.

Barnaby and Caplin are facing two alternate counts of first-degree murder and two alternate counts of second-degree murder.

Related Stories

--  Need a new car or even a boat? Click here to check out the all-new NH1 Motors --



Must Read on

NH1 on Facebook

NH1 on Twitter