Aug 8, 2016 10:26 AM
PORTSMOUTH- Portsmouth Fire Department said that people have been evacuated after a construction accident caused a "significant gas leak" in the city.
Fire Department deputy chief Jim Heinz said Monday morning that construction in the area of Columbia Street and State Street west of the city center broke a gas main.
Heinz called the leak "significant," said Portsmouth Police and the fire department have streets in the area shut down. Unitil utility workers are on the scene working to shut down the gas and restore service. Representatives from the city's housing authority are also on the scene.
Heinz said the gas, which is lighter than air, is dissipating and fire crews are standing by to secure any ignition source that may threaten the leak.
The city is receiving mutual aid from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Heinz said he expects the situation to be under control soon, and advised travelers to stay away from the area.
3 hours 29 minutes agoJeanie Forrester says she “was honored” when Governor-elect Chris Sununu called her and asked the former state senator to consider running for New Hampshire...
4 hours 10 minutes agoAn apartment fire that displaced 18 residents was caused by a dryer, firefighters said. (More)
4 hours 19 minutes agoGovernor-elect Chris Sununu says it’s crucial for Granite State Republicans to “stay disciplined” and “stay positive.” And in a one-on-one interview with NH1 News,...
5 hours 16 minutes agoFormer astronaut and U.S. Sen. John Glenn has died in Ohio. He was 95. (More)
9 hours 17 minutes agoNew England Patriots star WR Julian Edelman posted a photo to Instagram holding baby Lily - seemingly acknowledging that he is her father for...
9 hours 41 minutes agoA Merrimack photography studio abruptly closed leaving dozens of families without their paid portraits. (More)