Officials say spent fireworks may have started NH house fire
LACONIA — Police and Fire responded to a reported building fire in Laconia on Tuesday night and officials believe it may have been started by thrown out spent fireworks.
Around 10 p.m. July 4, Laconia, Gilford and Belmont Fire Departments responded to a fire on the side of a 2½ story duplex.
The exterior fire was quickly extinguished and when checking the upper floors for occupants and any fire extension, crews discovered the fire to be inside, spreading up the wall and between floors. Also found was damaged electric components in the basement so the power to the building had to be cut. The crews cleared the scene just after midnight.
One of the occupants stated he had shot off fireworks about an hour prior and had thrown the spent fireworks in the rubbish barrel.
Fire officials warn residents that you should thoroughly flood used fireworks after use because old embers and tremendous residual heat can remain.