Obama administration approves state disaster bid
CONCORD - The Obama administration gave New Hampshire some much-needed financial relief from the tough winter, approving a disaster declaration for three counties from the blizzard in late January.
Gov. Maggie Hassan had declared a disaster after more than 2 feet of snow fell in the southern half of state Jan. 26. She took the unusual step of closing down non-essential state government the next day.
Winds reached more than 50 miles per hour and the blizzard caused the collapse of 14 roofs.
The federal government approved the state's findings that government costs to fight the storm exceeded $3.29 million including $1,554,335.40 in Hillsborough County, $1,226,158.15 in Rockingham County, and $512,565.13 in Strafford County.
Hassan told NH1 News that the state's congressional delegation along with state and local leaders all played a part in expediting the request for disaster relief.
"The storm-related activities from this severe storm and blizzard required unusually high amounts of materials and labor for snow removal throughout southeastern New Hampshire, and with this major disaster declaration, the state and these communities will now be able to access critical federal dollars to aid in our response efforts," Hassan said.
Now that the award decision has occurred, the state will cover at least 75 percent of the costs with the state and affected committees splitting the remaining amount that is no more than 25 percent.