May 28, 2015 5:58 PM
NH1 Political Pulse - NH1.com
CONCORD - Former Rep. Carol Shea-Porter broke her silence Thursday over the Frank Guinta controversy, saying in a statement and in a conversation with NH1 News she’s ready to run again for the U.S. House seat that she's twice lost to Republican congressman.
The Rochester Democrat put out a statement that called for Guinta to resign immediately over the campaign finance fine he faces from his 2010 campaign and that declared her own intentions going forward.
"I stand ready to win back this seat and restore honesty, integrity and competence,’’ Shea-Porter said in the statement.
Thursday night, Shea-Porter told NH1 News that if Guinta steps down and there's a special election this year, which she believes will happen, she will run for her old seat representing the state's 1st Congressional District. In her conversation with NH1 News, Shea-Porter added that she loves New Hampshire too much to stand by and not run.
Guinta ousted Shea-Porter from the US House in the 2010 election. She won her congressional seat back in a 2012 rematch only to lose again to him last year.
As Shea-Porter has laid back in the past few months, some Democratic leaders have approached others to consider taking on Guinta in 2016, including Democratic Executive Councilor Chris Pappas of Manchester.
Since the news two weeks ago that Guinta settled with the Federal Election Commission for breaking campaign finance laws, the Manchester Republican has faced calls to resign - even from some top Granite State Republicans – including US Sen. Kelly Ayotte and State Senate President Chuck Morse
The FEC fined Guinta $15,000 and ordered to pay back $355,000 in excess campaign donations that he obtained from an account in his parents’ name. Guinta insists that the money in his parents' account belonged to him.
Guinta's told NH1 News twice over the past two weeks that he has no intentions of stepping aside.
NH1 News reached out to Guinta aides for a response to Shea-Porter's statement, but they declined to weigh in.
1 hour 49 minutes agoThe man that was found dead after a lengthy pursuit with police has been identified. (More)
2 hours 28 minutes ago(CNN) — FBI Director James Comey said Friday the bureau is reviewing new emails related to Hillary Clinton's time as secretary of state, according to a letter sent to eight congressional committee chairmen, a surprise development with 11 days until the election. After recommending this year that the Department...
2 hours 56 minutes agoThe man charged with providing the drugs that resulted in the death of 17-year-old Eve Tarmey has been sentenced to 20 years in prison....
3 hours 51 minutes agoJames Dale has filed a petition in federal court seeking again to receive a new trial in the rape and murder of six-year-old Elizabeth...
7 hours 55 minutes agoPolice in Hampton, New Hampshire, say they found a man dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound following an hours-long standoff at a motel....