Apr 29, 2016 1:56 PM
NH politicians react to DeLemus behind bars awaiting Bundy Ranch trial
ROCHESTER — New Hampshire politicians are speaking out in terms of Nevada's Bundy ranching standoff case that is jailing granite stater Jerry DeLemus until trial begins at the start of next year.
DeLemus, a Marine Corps veteran who is co-chairman of Veterans for Trump in New Hampshire, pleaded not guilty earlier this month. This comes two years after rancher Cliven Bundy and 18 others - including DeLemus, are accused of conducting an armed standoff against the federal government in a fight over land. Since then, DeLemus and the other 18 defendants have been moved multiple times over the past year leading up to a trial start date.
According to the Union Leader, both U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta, R-NH, and a local minister wrote letters to the presiding judge in support of DeLemus asking for him to be released pending the trial.
Former New Hampshire Republican Party chairman and a tea party leader from Dover, Jack Kimball asked the judge to let DeLemus return to New Hampshire as well.
Kimball said DeLemus has no record and is not prone to violence. “Everyone of these people, including Jerry, are political prisoners,” Kimball said according to the paper. “He’s a man of peace. He’s a great patriot.”
Kimball is helping organize a fundraiser for DeLemus on May 14, at Groen Construction in Rochester.
Guinta, who said to have known DeLemus for more than seven years said he "found him to be a man of strong passions with a thirst for freedom. The charges filed against Jerry are serious and his personal freedom is in jeopardy, while the job of determining guilt or innocence ultimately rests with the court. I pray that he is innocent of all charges."
In opposition, New Hampshire's U.S. Rep. Democrat Carol Shea-Porter reacted in an email based on the letter Guinta wrote and said, "We are not going to go into the things that the man sitting in jail has said or done, except to tell you that one of the things he wanted to do was to hold his own ‘Draw Mohammed’ event after the first event, held in Texas, led to violence and two suspects were killed."
The trial for DeLemus and others involved in the ranching standoff is scheduled to begin in Las Vegas on Feb. 6, 2017.