Feb 12, 2016 5:57 PM

NH man - seriously burned after e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket - files lawsuit

NH1.com

MOULTONBOROUGH - A man, who claims he was seriously burned after an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket, has filed a lawsuit.

Matthew Gilson, 26, said he was preparing for a shift at work Jan. 20 when the battery suddenly began smoking, charring his pants and leaving him with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

"Looking down I just saw all the smoke on the table and I'm just so confused at what it is," Gilson said.

His co-workers called 911 and Gilson was transported to Mass. General Hospital where he stayed for two weeks and underwent two separate surgeries.

"When you get a cigarette pack and it says don't use if you're pregnant and 'this could kill you' and it causes cancer, these people need to know that batteries can blow up in their pocket," said attorney Peter McGrath.

The lawsuit is against Shenzhen Kanger Technology in China and Smokers Haven in Laconia, N.H.

Gilson told NH1 News he was speaking to the media to warn others about these products.

Smokers Haven did not return our phone call.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 47°
7pm 45°
8pm 42°
9pm 38°
10pm 35°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 

Friday, 10 a.m. - Latest storm update with Meteorologist Ryan Breton

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome