NH man gets 46 months for possessing firearms as a convicted felon
CONCORD — A man has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison for possessing firearms as a felon.
Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of New Hampshire, John J. Farley, announced that Micky Garst, Jr., 26, previously of Manchester, was sentenced to 46 months in federal prison for possessing two stolen firearms.
Garst, who pleaded guilty March 16, will spend three years on supervised release after he is released from prison.
According to court documents and statements in court, on the morning of Aug. 19, 2015, Manchester police investigating a reported fight outside of a pizza parlor encountered a large crowd, including Garst and a female companion.
After investigating the source of the conflict, officers asked to search Garst's companion’s vehicle, and she consented.
In the trunk, police said they found a Colt .45 handgun that had been reported stolen from a home in Manchester four days earlier. Blood samples from the scene of the theft were later confirmed by the state crime lab as a match with Garst.
Police said in February 2016, Garst also took a Ruger firearm from the home of an acquaintance. The firearm was recovered after Garst stashed it in the dumpster of a nearby convenience store.
Garst is prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law as a result of a prior felony conviction.
Court documents showed that Garst has been in state custody on a parole violation based on the above conduct since his arrest in March 2016. His federal sentence will run consecutive to his remaining undischarged time in state prison.