NH apartment building tenant holds back fire with garden hose while waiting for firefighters
MANCHESTER — Firefighters in Manchester responded to the report of a fire on the third floor of a building in the early morning hours Wednesday.
The Manchester Fire Department was alerted to a fire on Taylor Street in a three-story Manchester apartment building at 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.
A person who was passing by the building noticed the fire, reported it and notified the residents inside the building.
While waiting for the fire department to arrive, a tenant from the first floor used a garden hose to help keep the fire from spreading.
Manchester firefighters were able to contain the fire to the second and third-floor porch areas. The fire was fully extinguished at 2:42 a.m.
The fire was estimated to have caused about $5,000 in damage.
Fire officials determined the cause to be an improper disposal of smoking materials.