Dec 29, 2014 6:03 PM

New Hampton community helps rebuild home after fire


NEW HAMPTON - The Batchelders are back home.

"We had Christmas at the motel. A little hectic, but we made it. We did it," said Diana L Batchelder.

About a week before Christmas a chimney fire badly damaged their home. A home where three generations live. Diana was hospitalized with smoke inhalation.

"I tried to run back in to grab some of my stuff and I grabbed the fire extinguisher to try and put it out. And the smoke got into my lungs and I had to be rushed to the hospital because I have bad lungs," said Batchelder.

"My Dad and Anthony came over here and started pulling down the walls and cleaning the floors because my Dad couldn't sit still. This is his home," said Meghan Batchelder.

And that's when more help came. Fire Departments from Laconia to Concord pitched in to help. Furniture was donated and people donated their time to give the family back what they lost.

And the kids in the home got new beds. Beds they are very thankful for.

"My teacher Miss Conway and my principal and the whole school for doing a fundraiser for the house," said 8 year old Shayleigh Batchelder.

"That's what makes me happy. Them being happy. Them having a nice home," said Diana Batchelder.

They weren't home for Christmas. But thanks to the community they will be home on New Year's.


»Topics in this article

News Schedule

Open as Sidebar Desktop News Feed Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.

Today Fri Sat Sun Mon
85° 80° 84° 91° 88°
53° 50° 52° 56° 60°

NH1 on Facebook

Upcoming Events

Latest Poll

Loading ...