NH firefighters respond to mattress fire in 40-unit Manchester apartment building
Written by NH1.com on .
MANCHESTER — Manchester firefighters responded to an alarm from a 40-unit apartment building after a fire began in a second floor apartment.
The fire started in the unoccupied apartment but the alarm system alerted residents and the fire department effectively, officials said.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they evacuated the occupants who had not already evacuated when the alarm sounded. The crews then extinguished the fire and cleared the smoke so residents could return to their apartments.
According to the fire department's report, the cause of the fire came from poor disposal of smoking materials which lit a mattress ablaze.