NH Firefighters Kept Busy During Winter Storm With 2 House Fires
TILTON — Two separate house fires kept emergency responders busy on a snowy Saturday night.
The first incident happened around 12:30 a.m. at 70 Reservoir Road in Northfield.
Upon arrival, officers say a large garage was engulfed in flames and was spreading rapidly to the newly built home attached.
The fire was quickly knocked down which prevented it from causing significant damage to the home.
Firefighters say access to the fire and water supply were challenging due to the winter conditions and a long unplowed driveway.
“We were very fortunate that home was not complete and unoccupied.” stated firefighter Nick Baker.
The garage was considered a total loss due to the significant fire damage.
The next incident happened around 12:55 a.m. at 320 East Pleasant Street in Northfield.
Franklin firefighters were first on scene and observed a large two-story wood frame home with smoke and fire showing from the rear of the building.
Responders quickly deployed hand-lines to the interior and exterior of the building.
A majority of the fire was found on the gable end of the home around an exterior chimney.
Extinguishing the burned areas proved to be very labor intensive due to the weather and the construction of the home. “We had to pull apart layers of burnt siding and sheathing to confirm that the fire had not extended into other areas of the home." stated Franklin Fire Captain Jason Jenkins.
Officials believe that the fire was caused by improper ventilation in a pellet stove.