Photos Courtesy Manchester Emergency Alert Center/Facebook
Dropped Cigarette Sparks Fire That Destroys Home and Injures 2 Emergency Workers
MANCHESTER — A fire started by a man smoking in bed destroyed six apartments and injured two emergency service workers.
Crews responded to the fire at 374 Merrimack St. at 5:25 a.m. and found heavy fire on the second and third floors of the six-family home.
Ten minutes after arriving on scene crews had to leave the building and had to fight the fire in "defensive mode."
The fire started in the second-floor bedroom of apartment 3. A man living in that apartment said he was smoking in bed and dropped his cigarette, which caught the side of the bed on fire. He tried to extinguish the fire but was unsuccesful, District Chief Hank Martineau said.
The residents in that apartment then called 911 and went to the other apartments to notify residents to leave.
All the people living in the building got out safely.
The fire closed down Maple Street from Laurel to Manchester streets and Merrimack Street from Beech to Wilson streets for several hours.
Two fire personnel were injured during the fire, which was classified as accidental and resulted in $300,000 in damage.
The Red Cross assisted displaced residents.