Dec 21, 2015 8:48 PM
NASHUA - Police and the superintendent of Nashua schools confirmed that school will be open on Tuesday after investigating an email threatening to cause harm to students and staff on Monday.
“We have received a detailed threat to harm students and staff,” said a voicemail message sent to all Nashua parents late Sunday night.
On Monday, Superintendent Mark Conrad addressed the media at a press conference.
“We believe that we can open our schools tomorrow, and we can do so because we are confident they will be safe,” he said.
All Nashua public schools were left empty Monday after receiving an email threat to the district specifically noting both high schools and noting the general staff and student body would be harmed.
Police took the threat seriously and worked with the FBI to track down the IP address.
Many feared the threat to public schools in the Gate City could be connected to other school threats like in New York and Los Angeles.
"Stuff like this has happened too much lately, so one day off from school really isn't that big a deal to me," said Jacob Notinger, a Nashua South student. "It's more important about like the bad things that are being threatened or nobody's really sure if it's a legitimate or not."
Officials deemed that the threat was legitimate enough to shut down schools Monday.
Police confirmed they were searched top to bottom by police and all schools will open Tuesday.
Right now, there are no suspects in custody, but police said they are looking.
There will be “extra officers at the bus drop offs and at the schools, and we’ll have officers present during the school day,” said Chief of Police Andrew Lavoie.
Conrad understands that some students may still opt to stay home Tuesday, and he said that all absences will be excused.
Schools close later this week for Christmas vacation.
2 hours 12 minutes agoWith just 12 days to go until Election Day and the latest polls in New Hampshire’s blockbuster U.S. Senate race indicating a dead heat,...
6 hours 1 minute agoPolice have captured a suspect in a possible abduction in Londonderry NH. They said the woman and a child were found safe. (More)
9 hours 3 minutes agoKelly Ayotte and Maggie Hassan talk 1-on-1 with NH1 News ahead of tonight's U.S. Senate debate (More)
9 hours 55 minutes agoMANCHESTER - A man accused of shooting and killing a Manchester man last month has been returned to New Hampshire to face charges. Billy Damuel Maldonado Cancel, 23, was captured in New Britain, Connecticut on October 14th. He was returned to N.H. last night. Maldonado Cancel was listed...