NH1 News Debates


Dec 17, 2014 7:53 PM

N Korea said to be behind massive attack on Sony

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) A U.S. official says North Korea perpetrated an unprecedented act of cyberwarfare against Sony Pictures that exposed tens of thousands of sensitive documents and escalated to threats of terrorist attacks that ultimately drove the studio to cancel all release plans for "The Interview," the film at the heart of the attack.

Federal investigators have now connected the Sony Pictures hack to the isolated communist nation, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to openly discuss an ongoing criminal case.

Earlier in the day, the besieged company said it was canceling the Christmas Day release of "The Interview." It cited the threats of violence against movie theaters and decisions by the largest multiplex chains in North America, one after another, to pull the film from its screens.

The attack is unprecedented and possibly the costliest for a U.S. company ever, says Avivah Litan, a cybersecurity analyst at research firm Gartner.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome