Multiple residents displaced after fire in six story high-rise
MANCHESTER — A two-alarm fire in a high-rise apartment building has displaced multiple people.
A box alarm in the Hugh Gallen apartment building located at 200 Hanover Street was activated prompting a response by Manchester Fire Department.
Fire officials said there was smoke visible on the first floor upon their arrival but the sprinkler systems kept the flames at bay.
The six-story building houses between 100 and 130 people, according to Chief Goonan of the Manchester Fire Department.
The first floor of the building was evacuated but residents of the rest of the building were told to stay where they were.
The cause of the burn is believed to be improperly disposed of smoking materials.
One person from the room where the fire began was transported to Elliott Hospital for smoke inhalation. They were conscious when they were transported by ambulance
Three others were checked on scene and released.
Goonan said six to eight families will be displaced by the incident because of smoke and water damage.
The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.