Jun 6, 2015 10:26 PM

Monarchs win 3-2 in first series game

Source: NH1.com

MANCHESTER - It was a historic night in the Queen City for the Monarchs as they hosted their first ever Calder Cup Final game.

It was a close and intense one that fans in the city said they've been waiting a long time for.

The series between the Monarchs and the Utica Comets marks the first match-up ever for the franchises.

The team also welcomed back notable past players ahead of the game, which had an atmosphere full of energy.

“We got to win the next two games, and then go to Utica, then come back and win some more – so we can have the Calder Cup here," said Monarchs fan Dale Lafleur.

Lafleur was among thousands of others wishing for the same, as the Verizon Wireless Arena had a full house of attendees.

One woman came from Connecticut because she said she just had to see it in person.

“As well as they were playing, they swept the Wolfpack," said Edrie Buck, who said she was so impressed with the Monarchs abilities, she decided to make the trip to NH. "So, I’m going to route for them. Fingers crossed!”

The Monarchs #22 Brian O’Neill scored first 16 minutes into the 1st period.

Barely a minute later – the Comets tied it up.

Nobody scored during the 2nd.

They tied it up again - 2 to 2 in the 3rd, and then went into overtime.

While Utica fans obviously weren’t rooting for the Monarchs, they were still excited for the historic day for both teams.

In the Monarch's 14-year history, they have never advanced to the finals.

As they start the series with a win 3-2 in overtime, their venture into uncharted territory looks bright.

Game 2 is Sunday night at 5 p.m. at home before the team hits the road for 2 games in Utica next week.

Related Stories


»Topics in this article

News Schedule

Open as Sidebar Desktop News Feed Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.

Today Fri Sat Sun Mon
85° 80° 84° 91° 88°
53° 50° 52° 56° 60°

NH1 on Facebook

Upcoming Events

Latest Poll

Loading ...