NH1 News Debates


Sep 22, 2015 7:58 PM

Might the Tony Awards show be homeless again?

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) Good news for the Rockettes might mean bad news for the Tony Awards.

MSG Entertainment said Tuesday that it will again put on a "New York Spring Spectacular" starring the leggy dancers next year, but it will run from June 15 through Aug. 7 at Radio City Music Hall, meaning it may have to boot the annual theater awards show from the iconic venue.

While next year's Tony night hasn't been announced, it usually falls on a Sunday in the first two weeks of June. In 2016, that would put it during crucial rehearsal time for the "Spring Spectacular," which will be renamed.

The Broadway League, which runs the awards show with the American Theater Wing, had no comment.

The 6,000-seat Radio City has long been the preferred home for the awards because of its size and proximity to Broadway. The Tonys had been held at Radio City from 1997-2010 and for the last three years.

From 2011-12, the Tonys were handed out at the Beacon Theatre on Manhattan's Upper West Side after Radio City was booked by Cirque du Soleil's "Zarkana." The venue is much smaller, having only about 2,870 seats, leading to ticket-rationing and a struggle to seat the often large number of show producers. MSG Entertainment also owns the Beacon.

The "Spring Spectacular" made its debut in March starring Tony Award winner Laura Benanti and Emmy Award-winning choreographer Derek Hough. It was put together by Tony Award winners Warren Carlyle and Diane Paulus. MSG Entertainment said it sold some 300,000 tickets.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome