May 24, 2015 9:15 PM
Man saved, Northwood home explodes in separate house fires
NORTHWOOD - Two homes less than a mile apart were destroyed by fire in separate emergencies overnight.
The first fire broke out in the garage of a home off Rochester Road.
A man was rescued from inside by Northwood Police Officer Spencer Aube.
Aube didn't want to be on-camera when asked by NH1 News, but said he was "just doing his job."
A short time later, a separate fire broke out in a cabin on Sunrise Lane following an explosion.
"I thought it was going to be a Memorial Party going on and the cops were there to bust them up," said Ryan Basting, who was sleeping at his home nearby. "But it ended up being something exploded."
Basting was with his girlfriend, Laura Burke, who was woken up by the explosion around 1 a.m.
"It was just a huge explosion," Burke said. "I wasn't quite sure if it was a firework gone wrong."
Both fires are currently under investigation.