from Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society Facebook page

Nov 20, 2015 10:01 AM

Locomotive storage building in Bartlett on national historical places list

The Associated Press

CONCORD — The Bartlett Roundhouse, built in 1887 for the storage and repair of locomotives, has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.

The building was designed so that a 56-foot turntable in front of it could guide trains into the six separate repair stalls, where crews could perform maintenance.

Locomotives kept at Bartlett assisted trains over the steep grade to Crawford Notch. In addition to carrying tourists to hotels and boardinghouses in the White Mountains, they also transported a wide variety of freight, including lumber, pulpwood, cedar ties, telephone poles, limestone, ice, sulfur, coal, paper and manufactured goods.

The Maine Central Railroad Company, the final owner of the Bartlett Railyard, ran its last passenger trains in 1958 and the Roundhouse then ceased being used as a service facility.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome